Friday, May 11, 2007

Gaming and Virtual Environments

First of all , I think the reason why games and virtual worlds are interesting to libraries is because this is the way in which young people are communicating today. These are innovative strategies which can enhance the learning experience. They are tools we can use to capture a young persons interest in the library , to remove some of the old library sterotypes...yes , a library can be an interesting place rather than a dull and ( yawn ) boring place. I went to Yahoo games after trying unsuccessfully with Chuzzle. The giggling thingys in the Chuzzle description peeked my interest but I found I needed Explorer and I have FireFox at home so that was a no go.In Yahoo I searched for Crossword puzzles (another one of my loves) but the game will not play without allowing Java script from "About:Blank" which is not secure. So I didn't bother. Instead I went to Sudoku. Sometimes I do crosswords on Canoe.ca and I have also done jigsaw puzzles online as well. That's kinda fun. I also tried joining Second Life and was slightly successful. I was able to get a name and an avatar...the girl next door.I downloaded the software but it crashed twice. By then it was 11 pm and I thought I had better close 'er down for the day. I knew I had a full morning of blogging ahead of me! This has been a fun and educating experience for me.

No comments: